BRIEF HISTORY

      Willingdon College, Sangli is a college named after the former governor of Bombay, the first Marquess of Willingdon. The college was started on the morning of June 22, 1919 in the Sangli City. During this period, Centers of higher education and colleges were rare. With the establishment of the Willingdon College, the students in Southern Maharashtra and from the districts of Belgaum, Dharwad, Karwar and Bijapur were greatly benefited. The institute is situated in the Vishrambag area of Sangli-Miraj-Kupwad Municipal Corporation, roughly midway between the twin cities of Miraj and Sangli.

Establishment : Year 1919

      Great national leaders and patriots like Vishnushastri Chiplunkar, Lokmanya Tilak, Gopalrao Agarkar and Madhavrao Namjoshi, inspired by the spirit of a nation building ideal of education, laid the foundations in Pune, of the New English School in 1880 and the D.E.Society in 1884. The Fergusson college was started in 1885. In response to a demand that a College be started in Southern Maharashtra and in response to the sincere desire of the Ruler of the Sangli State, the Society founded the Willingdon College at Sangli in 1919. The President of the Society, Shrimant Chh.Shahu Maharaj, Kolhapur and the Vice-Presidents, Shrimant Patwardhans, Rulers of the Sangli and Miraj States and the generous wealthy citizens around came forth with great help for the cause. The College was started on the morning of 22 June 1919 in the Sangli City in the building where Rani Saraswati Kanya Shala stands today. The college was named afterLord Willington, then the Governor of Bombay who went on to also be the Viceroy of India. At the beginning only the Arts wing was started with an enrollment of 220 students. Later on Wrangler R.P.Paranjapye and the founder Principal of the College Shri.C.G.Bhatye with great effort, secured an area of 125 acres (0.51 km2) at Vishrambag for the college and the work of construction was immediately taken up.

Silver jubilee : Year 1944

      During this period, Centers of higher education and colleges were rare. With the establishment of the Willingdon College the students in Southern Maharashtra and from the Districts of Belgaum, Dharwad, Karwar and Vijapur in Karnataka were greatly benefited. The college rendered useful service for these two provinces. Wherever we move in this area we are found to meet the past Willingdonians. In fact to be a past Willingdonian has remained a bond of affection for many educated persons in the past. The College moved in the present buildings on 8 August 1924. At that time only the 'L' shaped wing to the East and the South were completed. the square block building of the boys Hostel came up in 1925 and the two storied Shahu Block in 1927. In 1932-33 the Science wing was started. The name of the College by then was known for its sterling merits of education, attracting students from faraway places. The Progress of the college was rapid. During the period in 1935-44 the buildings of the Gymkhana, Quarters for Professors on either side of the approach road, the Girls Hostel, the Guest House ( Karve Sadan) and the Laboratory were set up. In 1944 the college celebrated its Silver Jubilee in an impressive manner.

Golden jubilee : Year 1969

      After the celebrations of the Silver Jubilee image of the college shone with greater brightness. During the period 1945-1957 more buildings came up, one more Hostel for the Girls, two more Hostel buildings for the Boys, Velankar Assembly Hall, Recreation hall and an addition to the main building at the West. Today the hostel accommodate 110 Boys and 85 Girls. In the next 15 years the Biology Laboratory, three storied building of the Library, Post Office, building, one more Hostel for the girls, Canteen and NCC buildings and the Open Air Theatre were completed. On the Science side subjects like Biology, Physics, Mathematics and Statistics were started. In 1969, Golden Jubilee of the College was celebrated in a splendid manner. Some past students from foreign countries attended the celebrations with deep reverence. Other past students and well-wishers of the college gave generous donations, considerably and swelling the funds of the college.

Diamond jubilee : Year 1979

      Out of the funds collected at the time of the golden Jubilee, more constructive work was taken up. 11 new Class rooms, Teachers Hostel, (Out of the UGC funds to the extent of 2/3 of the entire expenditure), tube-well for water supply, extension of the Gymkhana Building, Badminton Hall were completed. The College was recognized as a permanent Post Graduate Centre by the Shivaji University. On the Science side, Microbiology and Electronics and on the arts side Psychology, Logic and Philosophy were added. Diamond Jubilee was celebrated with the same enthusiasm as the Golden Jubilee and received spontaneous support from all quarters.

Platinum jubilee : Year 1994

      Many projects were launched as a part of platinum jubilee celebrations such as - Pre-primary, primary and secondary ( English and Marathi Medium ) School at Willingdon Campus, Health Club, Overhead Water Tank etc. and were completed successfully.